Monday, June 7, 2010

Candied Pears

I would have posted yesterday, but I didn't have access to a computer at all! I swear, things to post about are piling up! Today I thought I would share my new favorite dessert, Candied Ginger Pears from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.

I hope I get better at this food photography thing. My recipe is adapted, since I haven't used ginger yet when I've made it, and I cook the almonds in maple syrup instead of brown rice syrup. I'm not even sure I'm supposed to post adapted recipes from books :]
Candied Pears
1/4 cup finely ground almonds (I normally just chop mine finely, but you can put them in the food processor)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 pear, halved and core scooped out
1/2 cup apple juice
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp cold apple juice to help dissolve
Extra tbsp maple syrup, optional
Place pear halves in a small saucepan and add apple juice and bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil for 8-10 minutes until pears are soft. While pears are cooking, heat a dry skillet over medium heat, add the almonds and toast, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes until fragrant and golden brown. Add the maple syrup, stir, and cook until the mixture thickens, set aside. Remove pears from apple juice and place on a plate. Add cornstarch mixture to apple juice in saucepan and whisk constantly over medium-high heat fir 3-5 minutes until mixture thickens, remove from heat. Fill hollows in pear halves with almond mixture. Top with apple juice sauce and more maple syrup if desired.

This is seriously my favorite dessert. I definitely recommend The Kind Diet, I would have bought it just for the recipes! And this dessert is even from the "Superhero" section, so it's super healthy, but it's such a treat!

Let me know if you try it! Have a nice day!

No comments: